A package of amendments under the Mineral and Energy Resources and Other Legislation Amendment Act 2020 commence today.
The reforms deal with financial assurance and mine rehabilitation, and the regulatory efficiency of resource assessment processes.
The financial assurance and mine rehabilitation amendments focus on:
- changes in control of resource authority
- development plans for significant mineral mining lease holders
- abandoned mines and operating plant
- disqualification criteria for applicants, tenderers and transferees
- mining lease tenders.
The regulatory efficiency of resource assessment processes amendments focus on:
- disputes between overlapping tenures
- notifiable dealings for non-assessable transfers
- refusal to grant mining claim or mining lease if compensation not determined.
Some amendments relating to industrial manslaughter and other matters have already commenced under the Act.