The Queensland Law Society 2022 Federal Election Call to Parties Statement is now available.
The Call to Parties Statement, prepared by the QLS legal policy team in consultation with QLS legal policy committees, canvasses the views of the political parties and candidates on the issues perceived to be critical to the effective delivery of justice to the Australian community.
These areas of concern are:
- making justice more accessible
- resourcing federal courts, tribunals and commissions
- preserving the integrity of our justice system and public institutions
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples
- fair resolution of family law disputes
- addressing violence against women and their children
- addressing gender inequality and unsafe workplaces
- protecting children
- implementing measures to combat elder abuse
- removing criminal law barriers to access legislated voluntary assisted dying schemes
- supporting disability services
- enshrining human rights
- fairness and assistance in migration
- sustainability, climate and disaster response
- protecting consumers
- supporting small and family business
- providing certainty and security for workers and employers
- ensuring compensation schemes are efficient and effective
- engaging the not-for-profit sector
- preserving privacy, and
- Commonwealth law reform processes.
View the 2022 Federal Election Call to Parties Statement, and watch QLS Proctor for articles examining some of these issues in more detail.