Queensland Law Society is calling for expressions of interest for the Appeal Costs Board.
The purpose of the Appeal Costs Board is to administer the appeal costs fund, which exists to pay the costs of legal proceedings in circumstances where a retrial in a court case may be required or where an appeal against a court decision is successful due to a legal error.
The board also advises the Minister on any matter submitted by the Minister relating to the operation of the Appeal Costs Fund Act (the Act). Section 6(2) of the Act provides for the Attorney-General, as the Minister responsible for the Act, to appoint one member to be a representative nominated in writing by the Bar Association of Queensland and one member to be a representative nominated in writing by the QLS.
If you are interested in being nominated by QLS, please email QLS at email@example.com by COB Friday 27 January 2023 with the following:
A brief curriculum vitae (no more than two pages)
A brief statement setting out:
- Your experience and suitability for the role
- If selected, whether you have any conflicts of interest that may affect or appear to affect your public duty (for example, employment, directorships, partnerships, assets or liabilities)
- Whether there are any disclosable criminal convictions (that is, convictions as an adult that form part of your criminal history and which have not been rehabilitated under the Criminal Law (Rehabilitation of Offenders) Act 1986)
- Whether you are aware of any charges pending against you or if there are any matters involving offences which are under investigation and which may involve you, and
- Whether you are or have been the subject of a complaint to a professional body in Australia which has been substantiated or is currently under investigation, including the Crime and Corruption Commission or the former Criminal Justice Commission.
Queensland Law Society Council will consider nominations and all EOIs received.*
The role is not remunerated. To learn more about the board, please see the Appeal Costs Board webpage.
*QLS RESPECTS YOUR PRIVACY. The EOI asks for personal information. Please refer to the Personal Information Collection Notice for more details. If you have any questions or are unable access it online, please contact QLS on 1300 367 757.